Friday, June 8, 2012

Mayberry Will Never Be the Same





On May 19, 2012 my sweet Aunt Bee went to be with the Lord.  She was an amazing, strong, funny, smart, and spunky woman and she will be so greatly missed.  Since my grandma on that side of the family passed away when I was 8 and she was about 12 years older than my dad Aunt Bee filled that role in my life and the lives of my siblings and cousins.  Every family event was at her house and she made sure it was great.  We had food to feed all of us three times over and she cooked it all.  She never wanted people to bring a dish, she always said, "Just bring yourself."  She would stay up all night cooking so that we could be together.  Family was so important to her and she made us all feel important and special.
 As I got older and had the girls she was always there for me with advice, encouragement, and truth.  You could count on her to be honest with you.  She taught me how to sew on a button one night while we were having coffee and talking for hours.  Those moments were so precious then and are especially precious to me now.  She would tell me old stories about  my dad and our family and you could feel her love for our entire family in those stories.  No one could ever take her place and I am, selfishly, so sad to know that she is no longer part of this world, even though I know she is in a much better place.
My Aunt Bee loved Jesus.  One night towards the end I spent the night with her and we read Psalms and she would pray.  She wanted so badly to be healed and see her next grandbaby be born, but she always clung to the Lord's Prayer and asked that His will be done.  Being a believer at a time like this I have to cling to God's word a lot.  I know His ways are good and I can't understand Him and that He loves my Aunt Bee more than I do.  That is the truth.  All my feelings and questions can be satisfied with that.
I am so thankful to have had an Aunt who loved me like a daughter and loved my little family.  I wish I would have spent more time visiting and calling.  Walking in to her house the first thing you did was take off your shoes and then you would hear, "Hey, baby!"  and you  knew you had a place at the table with her.  I know one day when I get to see Jesus she will be there with a "Hey, Baby!" for me.  Until then I am going to do my best to be like her and love the Lord and the family He has given me.  I want my neices and nephews to know how special they are to me and always have my junk drawer stocked with goodies and coffee ready to go.
I love and miss you Aunt Bee!

No comments:

Post a Comment